standing prime rib Roast
3- rib beef rib-eye roast, 7-8 ½ pounds
– leave the meat out at room temperature an hour before roasting
2 tablespoons soft butter
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Smear ends of roast with butter. Set roast rib-side down, fat-side up, on a V-shaped rack set on shallow baking sheet. Insert a thermometer in the center of the narrow end.
- Strew chopped carrots and onions around.
- Roast in the lower middle level of the preheated oven.
- Once the meat reaches 110°F, it starts to rise quickly thereafter. I like my roast medium rare 125°F – 130°F So I take the roast out at 120° and it continues to cook while it rests.
- Remove roast from pan, pour off fat, add chicken stock and dislodge roasting juices.
- Strain vegetables through fine-mesh sieve to get liquid.
- Add meat liquid and vegetable liquid to sauce-pan and heat making the “jus.”
Slice off the ribs from the bottom of the roast to carve roast serving with jus.