cornbread made with buttermilk
7 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup fine yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¾ cup sour cream
½ cup buttermilk
- Adjust oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet.
- Transfer skillet to oven and heat until the butter is melted and well browned, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Pour browned butter into a heatproof cup or bowl, leaving about 1 tablespoon remaining in skillet.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Combine eggs, sour cream, and buttermilk in a second bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in reserved browned butter. Whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Remove skillet from the oven and swirl to coat all surfaces with melted butter.
- Spoon batter into skillet and transfer to oven.
- Bake until light golden brown on top and a wooden skewer inserted into cornbread comes out with no crumbs, 20 to 25 minutes.