french bread/ pizza dough
½ cup cake flour (may substitute unbleached flour)
~ 2 cups unbleached flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water
1 teaspoon yeast
- Dissolve yeast in water (although I have just put in the yeast with the other dry ingredients with equal success.)
- Place ½ cake flour, 1½ cup flour, and salt in food processor. Pulse to combine.
- With machine running, add water.
- Add extra flour until a soft ball forms.
- Place in oiled bowl, covered until doubled – the longer, the more sourdough flavor.
For French bread
1. Put cornmeal in bottom of French bread pan.
2. Pull dough out to oblong and roll and place in French bread pan.
3. Cover and let rise about ½ hour.
4. Glaze with beaten egg.
5. Bake 20 minutes in 400° oven.
- Roll out dough to fit a round pizza pan (the type that has holes).
- Using a fork, tap holes throughout the dough.
- Precook the dough 10 to 15 minutes in 450° oven
- Add sauce (I like the brand Patsy’s from New York).
- Top with grated mozzarella and Romana Reggiano cheese.
- Add sliced pepperoni or other toppings of choice.
- Cook until cheese melts.
Note: I like to precook any vegetables in a little bit of water.