1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon water
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
5 garlic cloves (1 tablespoon) minced to paste
1 loaf soft Italian bread (12” x 5”), halved horizontally
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Mix garlic powder and water in medium bowl and then add 4 tablespoons butter, salt, and cayenne.
- In a covered second bowl, microwave 4 tablespoons butter about 30 seconds. Stir in garlic paste and microwave 30 seconds more. Stir and microwave another 30 seconds.
- Add melted garlic-butter mixture to the bowl with garlic powder-butter mixture and whisk until loose paste forms.
- Spread cut sides of bread evenly with butter mixture.
- Put bread with cut sides up on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove sheet from oven. Flip bread cut sides down, place second rimmed baking sheet on top, and gently press.
- Return sheet to oven, leaving second sheet on top of bread, and continue to bake until cut sides are golden brown and crisp, 4 to 12 minutes longer, rotating sheet halfway through baking.
- Cut each half into 8 slices.