bread stuffing with celery & onion
¾ pound of stale bread (I use honey wheat berry)
½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons butter
1½ cups diced celery
1 chopped onion
can sliced water chestnuts
½ cup chicken broth heated
The day before:
- Pull bread into small pieces (about 6 cups). Leave out in large bowl so the bread dries out.
Right before the turkey goes in the oven:
- Melt butter in large frying pan. Add celery and onion and cook with frequent stirring until soft and yellow.
- In a large bowl, add onions and celery to bread, water chestnuts, and seasonings. Toss together until well mixed.
- Add broth and mix lightly with a fork.
- Place stuffing cover with plastic wrap and microwave stuffing on high until stuffing registers 120 to 130 degrees on instant-read thermometer, about 6 minutes.
- Spoon hot stuffing into cavity of turkey and close opening with turkey lacers.