½ cup granulated sugar (3½ ounces), plus 1 teaspoon
¼ cup packed light brown sugar (1¾ ounces)
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2½ pounds tart apples (firm), about 5 medium, peeled and cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
2½ pounds sweet apples (firm), about 5 medium, peeled and cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
1 egg white , beaten lightly
- Make pie crust .
- Make filling.
- Mix ½ cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, zest, and cinnamon in large bowl; add apples and toss to combine.
- Transfer apples to Dutch oven and cook, covered, over medium heat, stirring frequently, until apples are tender when poked with fork but still hold their shape, 15 to 20 minutes. (Apples and juices should gently simmer during cooking.)
- Transfer apples and juices to rimmed baking sheet and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.(cooked apples should measure about 8 cups)
- Preheat oven to 425°F and preheat baking sheet.
- Transfer apples to dough-lined glass pie plate; sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Pinch edges of top and bottom dough rounds firmly together. Trim and seal edges of dough, then cut four 2-inch slits in top of dough. Brush surface with beaten egg white and sprinkle evenly with remaining teaspoon sugar.
- Set pie on preheated baking sheet; bake until crust is dark golden brown, 45 to 55 minutes. Transfer pie to wire rack and cool at least 1½ hours. Cut into wedges and serve.
- To reheat, warm the pie in a 350-degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
Assembled pies kept well for up to two weeks in the freezer.