4 quarts water
1 tablespoon salt
½ package (1 pound) linguine
7 strips bacon
½ to ¾ packed cup pecorino Romano, grated, + additional for serving (Parmesan cheese may be substituted)
½ cup butter
2 eggs, well beaten
Chopped fresh parsley
- In a large pot, bring water and salt to a rolling boil. Add pasta and stir to separate strands. Cover pot until water returns to a boil. Uncover and cook 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and set aside reserving 1 cup pasta water. Place pasta in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap to keep warm.
- Cook bacon in a deep sauté pan (later on, you will add the cooked spaghetti) over moderately high heat until crisp and lightly browned. Place bacon on paper towels to drain and then break into pieces. Discard bacon fat from skillet; wipe skillet clean with paper towels.
- Add ½ cup butter and grated cheese to skillet stirring constantly until butter melts and is combined with cheese.
- Reduce heat to low and add drained spaghetti. Stir in cheese mixture, add beaten eggs all at once and toss with two forks until eggs are just cooked. Add some reserved pasta water if needed for creaminess.
- Add spaghetti to warmed serving bowl. Sprinkle with bacon and parsley. Serve immediately with additional fresh-grated pecorino Romano cheese.