Garlicky spaghetti with clams
1 tablespoon plus ¼ teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
8 ounces spaghetti
Salt and pepper
2 (6 ½-ounce) cans chopped clams, drained
2 anchovy fillets, rinsed, patted dry, and minced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
chives, chopped or green part of green onions, chopped
1/4 cup Parmesan, grated, plus extra for serving
- Combine 1 tablespoon garlic and oil in small skillet. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until garlic is pale golden brown.s. Off heat, stir in pepper flakes; set aside.
- Bring 1 quart water to boil in large pot. Add pasta and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until al dente.
- Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain pasta and return it to pot.
- Add remaining ¼ teaspoon garlic, clams, anchovies, lemon juice, reserved garlic-oil mixture, and add reserved cooking water to pasta as needed. Stir until pasta is well coated with oil and no water remains in bottom of pot. Stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Top with chives.
- Serve with extra Parmesan cheese.