chicken pot pie
pie crust (freeze second crust) or buy premade
1 (5-lb) stewing chicken, cut up
1 large onion, peeled and quartered
3 celery tops
3 sprigs parsley
2 ½ teaspoons salt
10 whole peppercorns
1 bay leaf
8 small carrots pared and halved crosswise (1 lb.)
12 small white onions, peeled (1 lb.)
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon pepper
1 cup or more milk
- In large kettle, combine chicken, celery, parsley, onion, peppers, bay leaf, and salt. Add 2 cups water. Bring to boiling; cover; reduce heat, and simmer until chicken is tender, about 1½ hours.
- Remove chicken and cool. Chop giblets fine and debone chicken in large (use 5 cups meat or less – save the rest for sandwiches or salad).
- Strain stock, skimming off fat. Add water to make 4 cups.
- In 4 cups stock cook onions and carrots covered 20 minutes or until tender. Strain, liquid should measure 3 cups.
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper. Stir in milk until smooth. Add with stock to pan and bring to boil, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer about 8 minutes or until stock is thick.
- Add chicken, vegetables, and giblets (add more milk if it seems to thick).
- Put chicken, vegetables, and sauce in a round 3 quart casserole.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Roll out pastry to form the shape of the casserole dish – ½ inch larger than top of casserole. Place pastry on top of casserole, turning edge under. Crimp decoratively. Make five or six slits’ for air vents. Brush top with egg white.
- Bake 25 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden.