coq au vin
Slow Cooker Recipe
4 bone-in chicken thighs
Salt and pepper
½ tablespoons oil
½ cup frozen pearl onions
3 slices thick-cut bacon
5 ounces cremini or other mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
2 tablespoons cup all-purpose flour
½ tablespoon tomato paste
1 – 3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried
½ cup of dry red wine (something you would drink)
½ cup chicken broth
1 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook chicken, skin side down, until well browned, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer chicken, skin side up, to slow cooker. Add onions to slow cooker.
- Add bacon to now-empty skillet and cook over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towel, break into 1-inch pieces, and set aside until ready to serve.
- Pour off all but 3 tablespoons fat left in skillet. Add mushrooms and cook until softened and well browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in flour, tomato paste, garlic, and thyme and cook about 1 minute.
- Whisk in wine and broth, bring to simmer and cook until thickened about 2 minutes
- Transfer to slow cooker. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4 to 5 hours on low.
- Transfer chicken to serving dish skimming off excess fat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon 1 cup sauce over chicken and sprinkle with reserved bacon and parsley. Serve, passing remaining sauce separately.