steak, mushroom & blue cheese salad
1 (8-ounce) boneless steak, ¾ inch thick, trimmed
Salt and pepper
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 small shallot, minced
1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
8 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
4 ounces (4 cups) baby spinach, arugula, green or red leaf lettuce.
1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and minced
1 ounce blue cheese, crumbled (¼ cup)
- Season steak with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet heated to medium-high, add 1 tablespoon oil. When hot, brown steak 3 to 5 minutes. Flip and reduce heat to medium, cooking until meat registers 120 to 125°, 1 to 4 minutes. Transfer steak to cutting board, tent, and let rest while finishing salad.
- Pour off fat from skillet but do not wipe clean.
- Whisk remaining 3 tablespoons oil, vinegar, shallot, and mustard together in large bowl.
- Add mushrooms and 1 tablespoon vinaigrette to now-empty skillet and cook over medium heat until mushrooms are golden, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add greens and capers to remaining vinaigrette and gently toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste and top with mushrooms.
- Slice steak thin and arrange over salad.
- Sprinkle with blue cheese and serve.