Grilled Shrimp kebobs with Mushrooms & Peppers
Salt and pepper
1½ tablespoons sugar
1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 large red or yellow bell peppers, cut into ¾-inch-wide by 3-inch-long strips
16 cremini mushrooms – diameter should be about 1¼ to 1½”
8 green onions cut into 3-inch lengths
- Dissolve 1½ tablespoons salt and 1½ tablespoons sugar in a quart of cold water. Brine shrimp for 15 minutes covered and refrigerated. Remove shrimp from brine and pat dry with paper towels.
- Line platter with a double layer of paper towels. Spread half of bell peppers skin side down and sprinkle with ⅛ teaspoon salt. Microwave for 2 minutes. Keeping bell peppers on paper towels let them cool on cutting board. If needed, repeat process with remaining bell peppers.
- Line second plate with double layer of paper towels. Spread mushrooms in even layer on plate and sprinkle with ⅛ teaspoon salt. Microwave for 3 minutes. Transfer mushrooms, still on towels, to cutting board and let cool.
- Skewer shrimp through center and then thread mushroom through the sides of the cap nestling into curve of the shrimp. Next add 2 pieces scallion followed by 2 pieces bell pepper. Repeat 2 more times. When skewer is full, gently press ingredients so they fit snugly together in center of skewer. Thread remaining shrimp and vegetables on more skewers.
- Brush each side of kebabs with oil and season with pepper.
- Turn all burners to high, cover, and heat grill until hot, about 15 minutes. Leave all burners on high. Place kebabs on grill and cook until charred, about 2½ minutes. Flip kebabs and cook until second side is charred and shrimp are cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes, moving kebabs as needed to ensure even cooking. Transfer kebabs to serving platter.
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
1 -2 garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Whisk all ingredients together in bowl.
- Add kebobs to a serving platter and drizzle over.