Grilled salmon fillets with black beans & red pepper puree
15-ounce can black beans, drained & rinsed
½ cup minced onion
1 large garlic clove, pressed
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 cup chicken broth
- Combine ingredients, bring to a boil and then simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cool and puree half in a processor.
- Add other half of beans and adjust seasonings.
- Add more stock if bean mixture becomes too thick (It should be thin enough to spoon onto a plate, but not runny.)
Red Pepper Puree
¾ cup sliced roasted peppers from a jar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- In blender, puree with olive oil until smooth
4 salmon fillets, about ⅓ – ½ lb
Ground white pepper
- Preheat grill.
- Rinse salmon in cold water and blot dry.
- Rub vegetable oil on both sides and dust with paprika and white pepper.
- Coat a hinged wire grill basket with nonstick cooking spray and place salmon fillets inside or on flat grill pan.
- Once grill is hot, turn one burner off and turn others to medium. Position the salmon over the burner that is off, close the grill’s lid, and cook about 5 minutes per side, turning them once. (The fish is done when it just begins to flack when probed with a fork.)
- Divide black bean mixture among pre-warmed plates.
- Top each with plate with a salmon fillet.
- Spoon red pepper puree over each fillet.
- Top with sour crème or crème fraiche.
- Garnish with cilantro and a couple of lime wedges.Serve with salad and rice or French bread