Soft fish tacos with cabbage & radish slaw
2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
4 ounces jicama, peeled and sliced thinly
4 radishes, sliced thinly
1 shallot, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper
1½ teaspoons chili powder
3 (6 ounce) fresh or frozen fish – halibut, swordfish, etc.
1 tablespoon oil
- Squeeze 3 tablespoons juice.
- Prepare cabbage, jicama, radishes, and shallot.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons juice and ½ teaspoon salt together in large bowl.
- Add cabbage, jicama, radishes, shallot, and cilantro and toss well to combine.
- Combine chili powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in small bowl.
- Fish two options:
Pat fish dry with paper towels and sprinkle evenly with spice mixture. Heat oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Place fish in skillet, skin side up, and cook until well browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Flip and continue to cook until it registers 125 degrees, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer fish to plate.
Buy frozen fish and cook as directed on the package
7. Mash avocado with 1 tablespoon lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Warm tortillas:
Using a dry skillet over medium-high heat, warm the tortillas one at a time until softened and speckled brown, 20 to 30 seconds per side.
Serve with cabbage slaw, sour cream, and avocado