½ cup cornstarch
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 large egg
¼ cup vodka
½ cup ice-cold club soda
1 pound shrimp
- Heat oil to 375°F in a large black iron frying pan over high heat, and then adjust heat as necessary to maintain the temperature.
- Mix cornstarch, flour, and 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg and vodka in a small bowl. Add club soda and stir until combined.
- Add to bowl with flour and stir until liquid and dry ingredients are just barely combined – showing bubbles and pockets of dry flour.
- Add shrimp to batter and coat.
- Cook shrimp in hot oil. Continue frying until batter is completely crisp and pale blond a little over one minute. .
- Transfer tempura to the baking sheet and immediately sprinkle with salt.
Serve with lemon wedges and tartar sauce.