braised red cabbage
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium-size red onion, chopped coarsely (1 cup)
1 small head red cabbage, sliced (about 1 pound) (6 cups sliced)
¼ cup California Burgundy
¼ cup wine vinegar
2 tablespoons apple cider or apple juice
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
Dash white pepper
1 tablespoon honey
⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley
- In large, heavy saucepan, melt butter.
- Add chopped onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage to cooked onion with the wine, vinegar, apple cider, salt, nutmeg, pepper, and honey.
- Stir to coat cabbage, cover, and cook over medium heat 20 – 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Toss with parsley just before serving.