hot & sour Hunan carrots
1½ pounds baby carrots or sliced carrots
1½ tablespoons salted black beans, coarsely chopped (in Chinese section of market)
2½ teaspoons finely minced garlic
2½ teaspoons finely minced fresh ginger
½ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
½ cup unsalted chicken stock
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1½ teaspoons unseasoned rice vinegar
¼ teaspoon sugar
2½ teaspoons cornstarch
1½ tablespoons chicken stock
2½ tablespoons corn or peanut oil
- Measure 4 cups carrots.
- Combine black beans, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes.
- Combine sauce ingredients in small bowl, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Blend cornstarch and broth until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat skillet over high heat. Add oil, swirling to coat pan, reduce heat to medium-high. Add black bean mixture and stir gently until fully fragrant, about 10 seconds.
- Add carrots, drizzling in more oil if necessary. Cook about 1 minute.
- Add sauce to pan. Cover pan and simmer 3-4 minutes until carrots are tender-crisp and still a bit underdone. Add extra splash of vinegar or a dash of sugar if desired.
- Stir cornstarch and chicken broth mixture quickly to recombine and then add to pan. Cook 10 seconds.
Remove to heated serving bowl and keep warm in 200-dregree oven.