stir-fry asparagus with shiitake mushrooms
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry
2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil or perilla oil
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut on bias into 2-inch lengths
4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced thin
2 scallions, green parts only, sliced thin on bias
- Combine water, soy sauce, sherry, sugar, ginger, and oil in bowl.
- Heat vegetable oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until smoking.
- Add asparagus and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until asparagus is spotty brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add soy sauce mixture and cook, stirring once or twice, until pan is almost dry and asparagus is crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer to serving platter, sprinkle with scallion greens, and serve.